06-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
Those are expensive experiences and the cars are provided by BMW in the first two. I don't know what the last one is. Anyway, why don't you ask BMW if they designed the stock M5 for regular tracking and see what they tell you. I think they will tell you that you do so at your own risk and that tracking your vehicle is likely to be improper operation. The BMW warranty says that your car has a race-bred engine design. It doesn't say you have a racing engine in your car. It also doesn't warrant your car to be raced as that is specifically excluded by the warranty. You can take it to the track and run it around but if you keep doing that, it's going to break down and have some kind of serious malfunction that costs significant money as a result. That is what I mean by my comment. You can pretty much use a car any way you want, that doesn't mean that is what the designers intended.

If you want to kid yourself about the design of the car, be my guest. I can tell you as a guy who designed a lot of products both software and hardware, users always find new ways to use stuff that the designers never intended. They also find ways to break stuff that the designers never thought they could. That is why warranties are limited and written by weasel wording lawyers.
From official BMW press releases:

http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/new_m5.pdf

Quote:
Fifth generation of the world’s most successful high-performance saloon in the premium segment of the executive class; new BMW M5 is an exceptionally dynamic high-performance sports car with four doors and five seats; consistent further development of the vehicle concept initiated in 1984 with the first-generation BMW M5; compelling track potential combines with the comprehensive practicality of a luxurious business saloon; groundbreaking character headlined by significantly improved efficiency, supreme long-distance comfort, and innovative driver assistance systems and infotainment functions.
Quote:
The precise interplay of the drive system, chassis and design has been refined in extensive and detailed testing on the Nordschleife circuit at the Nürburgring to ensure unbeatable longitudinal and lateral acceleration, handling characteristics and braking performance.
Quote:
Added to which, the engine has an extremely powerful cooling system and wet sump lubrication optimised for high lateral loads. This is a combination without parallel worldwide and produces the suitably exclusive performance characteristics you would expect from a BMW M car. The experience is defined by instantaneous responses and extremely impressive pushing power developed from extremely low revs and maintained into the higher reaches of the engine speed range.
Quote:
On the race track the new BMW M5 is every inch the high-performance sports car, but it also impresses on the journey there and back with the steady assurance and comfort of a premium-segment business sedan.
Quote:
The engine powering the new BMW M5 boasts a dynamically optimised wet sump oil supply designed to work under top-end longitudinal and lateral acceleration. This ensures optimum engine lubrication is maintained under extremely dynamic acceleration, braking and cornering.
Quote:
The new BMW M5 is a high-performance sports car whose exceptional dynamic potential is geared squarely to the demands of track use, yet which also sets a new benchmark in everyday driving with its supreme touring comfort. Chassis technology geared to the demands of racing, with stronger yet also more lightweight axle links and wheel carriers, enables precise handling even in extremely dynamic driving situations.

The precise interplay of powertrain, chassis and body has been fine-tuned down to the last detail during extensive testing at the Nürburgring’s Nordschleife circuit, and ensures peerless longitudinal and lateral acceleration, handling and braking.
Quote:
Using large panels to fix the chassis to the front and rear axles optimises torsional rigidity and ensures that the dynamic forces are channelled evenly through the body. For example, the forces exerted on the anti-roll bars on one side of the car when clipping a kerb on the track are transferred evenly over the entire front section of the car.
Quote:
while “Sport Plus” allows further stiffening of the suspension to achieve maximum longitudinal and lateral acceleration in ultra-dynamic driving situations on level race tracks.
Not sure I'm kidding myself about the design of M cars...
Appreciate 0