View Single Post
      10-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #46
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
The S5 does 0-60 in less than 5 sec - how can the power be "soft"? Plenty of power at high speeds as well in my experience. Sure, it doesn't have the power of an M5, E63 or CTS-V, but it's way more than enough for anything you might actually want to do with it on public roads, at least in the US.

In terms of handling on twisty mountain roads, my S5 with sport differential beats my M5. The S5 has amazing grip - it's like the car is attached to rails. It's overall the best car I've ever owned (I prefer it to my M5.)

Oh, and did I say that the manual transmission on the S5 is absolutely fantastic?
Dudes,

I have several friends with S5's, my father even owns one. It is a nice car for sure. I saw my first ever Audi RS5 last Saturday here in San Diego, and I decided right then and there that the RS5 is only one of 2 Audi's that I would ever love to own. The other is an R8. The RS5 is WAY more aggressive than the S5 and sounds much meaner, especially since the new S5's have gone to the Supercharged V6. I love the fact that Audi tuned the 4.2L V8 to about 444hp on the RS5, as I still love NA engines for their sound.

With that said, the F10 M5 for me is everything I could ever want in a car besides insanely good gas milage. Which is why I compliment my F10 M5 ownership with a Fiat 500 that gets 52mpg on the highway actual. I am a single guy with no kids, never been married before and I love the M5 mostly for the love I've always had for German Sedans. Ever since I saw the movie "The Transporter" with Jason Stathom (the 1st one with the BMW 735i in a one off manual transmission setup, the other 2 movies were ok) my idea of the perfect car has always been the best German Sedan money can buy, which for me is the M5.

Yes Porsches can out handle pretty much every other car on the road, cause they are so light and all, but Porches have always made me think that the kind of person that buys that kind of car is a guy in his late 40's / early 50's having a mid-life crisis. The high-end P-cars are too small for any practicality and how many owners actually take them on the track or on mountain roads, which they are best suited for. If I was to ever buy a Porsche, I'd probably get the 4.0 or a new 911 turbo anyways. I love speed.

No, the M5 is the perfect car for me, despite my lack of a family unit. It can still out handle any american police car, and most other mid range sports cars. It can do 0-60 in 3.7 secs with launch control and can lap a stock E92 M3 on the track. The only other car I've owned that was much more engaging than the F10 M5, was my fully modified E60 M5. I tuned it to 600hp and made it almost a full track car. Driving it was absolute blast as I felt I was driving a all out Formula 1 race car, but when I did that though I took away all of the daily driving ability of the car, and I soon hated driving it to work, as it attracted too much attention and was way too harsh for city street driving.

I think my plan for the F10 M5 will involve me keeping it much more stock than I have planned in the past. I think I want a true sleeper and will therefore only upgrade power, leaving all of the chrome on probably and maybe upgrading to a slightly louder exhaust. I think I want much more a "Transporter" type car. Who knows, we'll see.

For a much more sporty endeavor that will allow me to still stay in the BMW family, I think I will be looking deeply into the next generation 2015 F82 M4 Coupe. I think that ///M will give it some fantastic aggressive styling, and be much more of an all around sports car with a lot of the same technology that the M5 has, which I can now no longer live without, like the Heads Up Display. My guess already, is that the F82 M4 will weight less than the outgoing E92 M3, will make at least 450hp, but hoping for about 470hp, and at least 400tq. These combined with advanced suspension design, active ///M differential, wider tires, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, I think that we'll see a BMW ///M with the same performance levels or even better levels than a high end Porsche. This is my prediction.

Appreciate 0