View Single Post
      11-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #58
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by attbimmer View Post
I am in the same boat between 991S and M5. I got to spend some time in a M5 last weekend and was able to really push it both on the straights and through some sweeping corners. There is a lot I like about the M5 (looks, interior, practicality, overall handling, ...), but I just don't get the excitement out of driving it that I do even from my current E90 M3. It is certainly much faster on straights than my M3, but the way the motor develops its power and the way it sounds just doesn't feel as fast or exciting to me. The car I drove had DCT, so perhaps a manual trans car would have been more engaging.

In comparison i found the 991S to be a lot more exciting and engaging and I really enjoyed the sounds as well. The E90 is already heavier than I prefer, so the significantly lighter 991 was a great feeling as well. Despite being a much smaller car I can also still get all tech/comfort features I wanted in the M5 on the 991.

I still love the E90 M3. I have had it for almost 5 years, which is by far the longest I have ever owned any of my previous cars, but I am ready for a change. Having recently had our first child I also bought an '06 E350 wagon (primarily for our nanny to use, but we also use it on weekends) and ended up selling my E36 M3 track car. We also have an X5, so I really don't need a 3rd sedan. Going with the 991 is a nice compromise between having both the E90 and a dedicated track car.

For now I will end up with a 991 and then in the future perhaps move back to the next M3. I never seriously considered a GTS since there is no manual trans and it is quite a bit more expensive, but perhaps I will at least test drive one.
Doesn't the 991 one just seem like a 10% better drive? I think to really enjoy it, the track is the only place to push it to where it will really outshine our M3s...

Last edited by grendel88; 11-27-2012 at 01:42 AM..
Appreciate 0