stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy23 View Post
So I desperately needed to come up with a solution to this burning oil problem. I was at a stage whereby I am using 1 litre every 800 miles.

So after carrying out some research I have replaced the oil with 10w60 race oil from castrol.

Surprisingly the bottle says Mpower approved.

The car feels a little quieter at idle (engine wise)

Nothing else really to report apart from 250 miles in and the oil measure screen is still showing full.

Lets see what happenss.

On what may be a completely separate note my car seems to pop and bang a lot more exhaust wise. I don't know if this is an age thing or something else?

I'll keep everyone informed on the oil consumption
I have heard of people switching to 10W-60 for track use on cars designed for 5w-30. However this is when running at extreme temperatures. The challenge for you will be that in day to day driving the oil may not be warm enough to be effective and you could cause engine damage.

BTW here's an article of someone who made a similar switch on a different BMW turbo and he had issues with cyclonic filtration resulting in damage.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...25&postcount=5

I would recommend you do an oil analysis early to see how it is really performing. Many of us use Blackstone labs for oil analysis, not sure if they operate in the UK but I'm sure there are several local labs there.
Appreciate 0