United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
I have talked to the M engineers about this to the point I have no idea why they still even bother to offer it and neither do they.... the NA market still sells them but they can't sell manuals in regular models (it is hysterical) even though the take rate is still sub 15% for it in the M5.
They offer it because there is demand for it, simple as that. It's not exactly fair to compare the take rate of manuals to the regular series cars either. There is a much higher percentage of regular series cars sold vs. M cars, plus M buyers tend to be enthusiasts. Speaking of take rate, look at it this way: The take rate for the E39 M5 in manual was 100% because it was only offered that way. When the E60 M5 debuted, the take rate was initially 100% for the SMG because that was the only offering. This obviously upset customers and eventually the 6MT was offered. There are apparently still enough of us who want a choice and don't feel the DCT should be forced upon us as the only option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
It seems America has a complex associated with knowing how to drive a manual. I'll even go further and say its a manhood complex. Its really not that difficult!
Maybe it's a complex for some drivers, but for the rest of us, it is the overall driving experience and involvement with a manual that a DCT just can't compete.