View Single Post
      04-14-2006, 09:00 AM   #66
TENCHI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 G12, '17 E300

Quote:
Originally Posted by bos
Eh, well, BMW prides itself on building sporty automobiles. They're doing great in handling, but why so far behind in engine performance? First nissan, then acura and toyota build higher-hp machines. Why did it take until the e90 (later) to be competitive power-wise with the altima and G35 and TL? And why still lagging behind? Shouldn't BMW have been the first to cross 250hp and now 300hp in a production small sedan? And not in a limited-production "M" model.

BMW still has the most balanced package, but HP is their primary weakness today. HP, though, is one of the areas where you would NOT expect a weakness to be.

I agree that BMWs (especially the 3 series) are made to be sporty. If y'all bought one because you wanted something luxurious and comfortable to drive, then you need to go trade it in for a Benz or Audi.

And increase in HP doesn't necessarily mean faster or better performing. Look at the G35. 298hp. 37hp less than the M3 but who do you think is gonna win a race between those 2? The increase from 265 to 298 didn't help the G much either against the e46 ZHP. With 235 hp the ZHP still out performs the G35s 298.

BMW non-Ms in my opinion are balanced out very well in terms of performance. They are not meant to be race cars, but sure can meet the challenge when demanded.

oh and yes, there is a BMW coming out that surpasses the 250hp mark without the M badge....the turbo

I am starting to slowly realize that this forum is not about BMW enthusiasts, but BMW owners.
Appreciate 0