View Single Post
      04-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #28
M5 RAG
Private
Rep
Drives: SG + SO F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Unfortunately not true - BP 97 RON is one of the few UK fuels without bioethanol content.

The likes of Shell V-Power Nitro+ (99 RON) have around 5% bioethanol (a couple of % will be additives and the rest ~93% actual petrol), and I believe all UK fuels will switch to 10% bioethanol soon.

I've been getting best mpg from 97 RON BP (managed 37.5 UK in M5 yesterday, in comparison to max of 35-36 with Shell Nitro+).

In terms of running characteristics, I've found BP slightly more abrupt during initial throttle application &, at times, delayed during initial throttle application. My M5 is very smooth to throttle application when running Shell Nitro+ (exhaust was also slightly more quiet, but have yet to switch back to Shell Nitro+ to prove this isn't just down to MPE bedding in).

Another result of switching from Shell Nitro+ to BP 97 RON in one of our other cars (turbo petrol, mainly abusive cold engine/short journeys) is that, although economy has improved, black soot being produced from the exhaust (this never happen with Nitro+).

I've not tried anything else in the M5 yet, but as John says above this engine is very sensitive to what fuel is used.

Avlnch - apologies from deviating from original question (so far I've managed to top up v.soon after the fuel range warning, usually just below 1/4 full - trying my best to avoid going below that).
WTF...... Is that at typo 37.5MPG!!!! are you sure you've got an M5, a 535D will struggle to see those numbers???????
Appreciate 0