10-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #15
bobafettt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by savela View Post
So between 600 miles and 1600 miles, no shavings. Break in complete at 600 then? What if you changed the oil at 300 and no shavings? I'm just trying to understand how it could take so long for things to wear smooth and 'mature'. Why a continued break in beyond 1200 miles with only 'as needed' kick down and no excessive speed? I'm by no means an engine/transmission guru, simply trying to understand.

steve
No, the break in should be complete at 1200 miles per BMW.
I change all my cars' oils before 1k because it can only help. I changed my CTS V oil 3 times in the first 1000 miles. Sold it with over 100k miles on it and I never put a drop of "extra" oil in it. I wanted a data point for our cars on the first 600 mile change, but it may not be possible if the sample was lost. It would have been interesting to find out what was in that sample. But at least 1000 miles after that, the sample was pristine. Kudos to German (BMW!) engineering. Per the manual: From 1,200 miles/2,000 km to 3,100 miles/5,000 km The engine and road speed can gradually be increased to a constant speed of 137 mph/220 km/h. Use the maximum speed of 155 mph/250 km/h only briefly, e.g., when passing. This 2nd break in is probably more for our European or track brethren who stress the cars more at these higher speeds. Basically, these recommendations are conservative for preservation of the car in the long run and for legal issues. If we didn't need to follow their recommendations, it wouldn't be in the manual. The Germans are very precise after all.
Appreciate 0