View Single Post
      10-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradone1 View Post
I highly disagree. Can definitely control that if one is a good driver, no matter how sensitive, the clutch will relieve the power as well..
Oh, you certainly can control it, but the amount of thought and effort it takes to do it precisely, IMO, takes away from some of the fun. I am sure that over time, DSC technology will improve to the point that it is imperceptible in its intervention under more varied driving conditions, however we are not there yet.

I just think that different transmissions are suited for different cars. The perfect car for a proper manual IMO is a Porsche Cayman S. Moderate power, RWD, with more weight over the drive wheels. You can slam a Cayman effortlessly and it will yield a perfect balance of play and grip. If you slam an M5 in the same way, one of two things will happen. If you have the DSC on, it will be interfering every 5 seconds, or, if you have it off, you will be endlessly smoking the tires and fishtailing all over the place (not safe). DCT will allow more precise power to the ground as well as allowing you to keep both hands on the wheel while you play with your 500 lb-ft.

Manuals are fun and engaging and allow a level of sensory integration with your car that no type of automatic can. However, as you push into these stratospheric levels of power and torque, DCT just makes more sense to me. The M5 is a luxo-powerhouse. If you want a back-road burner, get something smaller, lighter, with moderate power, and then enjoy the proper manual.