View Single Post
      02-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
AMERICUS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i, 04 330 ZHP

Okay, I agree with what everyone else is saying, DON'T do isolation movements (or do minimal iso movements), and focus on compound big lifts (ie. squats, cleans, thrusters) and body weight exercises (ie pullups (lots), dips, pushups, air squats). Your arms will grow.

As for arm specific movements, you have to realize there are three heads in your arm (2 tricep, 1 bicep). If you want to increase size, your best bet is lifting triceps as there is twice the muslce tissue. There are a million tricep workouts (skull crushers, pulldowns (use different attachments, hand positions (over and under grip)), close-grip bench, dips, etc) out there and I would suggest rotating through a number of them to hit the complete triceps.

For biceps, if you want to develop that bulge (the head), the best lift is preacher curl. This hyperextension really works the underlying muscle fibers and increases size FAST. If you have a lifting partner, try towel curls and go until you can't lift the towel. As someone said, 21's are a good closing burnout.

Shoulders are a huge complex muscle, not just a lever like the bicep and tricep. Again, search online for exercises, but remember to work the posterior, anterior and side deltoids.

I would still suggest sticking to big compound lifts and pick one area to "touch up" at the end of the workout. Big lifts will produce more testosterone which will help you grow rather than focusing on small isolation movements.
Appreciate 0