05-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
DMC126
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5/2013 M5 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEOF40 FS M3 View Post
Having owned previously an E39 M5 w/ Powerchip and complete SS exhaust, the power is very manageable with this manual gearbox which I found to be a great one, and much better than the one in the E39 M5. After 4,000 miles I don’t think the shifter needs to be any shorter, it is just fitted perfectly, again IMO.
I own an E39 M5 and echo your feelings and impressions, regarding the transmission.

I always had difficulty getting the E39 M5 to shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd gear, a two in ten proposition. I had no other transmission issues with the E39 M5 but the F10 M5 transmission/shifter are a much better iteration. The F10 M5 shifter is very smooth and the rev matching feature is superb.

I am not interested in a short shift modification, for a number of reasons. First, for me, it is completely unnecessary and perhaps very undesirable. Whenever these complex machines are taken apart for any reason, other than routine, scheduled maintenance you are introducing the possibility of a whole host of problems. Most importantly, I trust the BMW and GETRAG engineers that designed the car to get the correct solution far more than I trust the engineers in the aftermarket.
Appreciate 0