View Single Post
      07-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
hpc3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 G80 Base, Build Week 12

Jealous... going mid month though to catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
I really liked the sound. Several videos I've heard are pretty close to actual. Its a relatively quiet, very smooth, progressive, turbine like sound. It adds to the experience. I didn't spend enough time in the car to descern whether it was artificial or not. On the other hand, stepping in the M3 and punching it definitely is a more throaty exhaust/intake growl that becomes a scream at high RPMs. Most enthusiasts would prefer the latter but luxury owners would prefer the M5.
I think their intended M5 market is an extremely capable luxury sedan with world class performance and few if any compromises. It suits that very well. The e60 is a wild child in comparison. <- a paraphrased quote from an instructor.

An additional thought is given the following 4.4TT V8 models, they are in order of sound level 550i, 650i, M5, X5 50i, X5M.
The 550i is extremely distant and quiet. The 650i adds a nice exhaust growl. The M5 is a similar volume but smoother, less throaty. The X5 50i (that I own) has an interesting almost diesel like intake growl. The X5M has the loudest deepest growl on hard accel.
Very interesting differences for basically the same motor, with different levels of tune and exhaust.
Admittedly I never got the E60 when it came out... until I experienced them at the PC. All the complaints of the autoshift-trans, jerky starts and quirks on the street suddenly didn't matter. Its completely at home screeching around at 8K rpms all day long... beautiful car to me now, even with all of Bangles mess(es). I think the F10 is destined to be a more subtle ride but maybe thats what the M5 customer wants today, unsure.

Fast forward to the reason I'm ordering the M3. I think its the last of the cars that can be flogged around the track yet be nice and civil enough to use for work/family. Maybe the new M3 will offer the same but having come from 12yrs of turbo cars I'll bet it won't be as crisp as the E46 or E92 NA powerplants no matter what you do to it.

BTW Richard mine is status 152 today, paint. I'll update once I hear from my rep on PCD ETA.

Born on July 4th, 2012, PCD September 5th, 2012.
Appreciate 0