Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
It's written Castrol on the PU oil fill cap so naturally I keep to Edge 0W40 and change every year or 5k miles whichever comes first, with the Bosch filter P7158 that has an extra filter guaze than the standard M one which hasn't.
Had an oil+filter change today and went with Rick's recommendation.

Castrol Edge 0w-40 and the difference is already quite obvious.

I previously used a 5w-40 spec oil and was not left satisfied - car also consumed 1lt of oil in 2500 miles of mixed use. I was not left satisfied because the 5w-40 oil took ages to warm, especially in the morning, and also because the engine was sounding rough after a few miles. Fuel consumption was average (I have seen worse tbh).

Trying to find the "perfect" oil for your car can be an obsession for some, for me it is a matter of trial and error like everything else. As each one of us has a different driving style and we live in different climates and time zones, there are more than one "correct" answers to this question.

However it is a common theme that regardless of viscosity and additives, what really matters is changing oil and filter every 5000 miles give or take. It's the golden rule for most drivers.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick61215.00