06-21-2012, 06:14 AM   #51
doc19
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
I understand your stance perfectly, and automatic watches are lovely, but really you shouldn't be surprised. If Ferrari have all but ditched manual transmissions entirely why should you be surprised BMW springs an early obituary for the manual M5? To my mind it's simply not that kind of car anymore, I agree those looking for a manual M5 should probably buy an M3 instead.

And it's not just BMW and Ferrari, Porsche are (deliberately/cynically or not) giving manual drivers pause for thought for the first time - does a 7-speed manual 911 have one gear too many for hand-and-foot shifting? I can guarantee you the ratio of manual/auto for new 911s will increase dramatically. Also, the Stuttgart company has confirmed that for the first time the next GT3 will have a PDK option - that should make one think a bit longer too.
Those are fair points... and I guess the writing has been on the wall for sometime regarding manuals. Still makes me a bit sad.