02-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
Early post here: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656996

Gave up on waiting for BMW (which now claims "clunk sound" is a constructive specialty of M5) and installed H&R springs ($350) yesterday at the service. The car is about 1" (25 mm) lower now.

Advantages:
- Clunk sound is gone
- Comfort is the same

Disadvantages:
- Suspension warranty void. BMW Service put this as a precondition before agreeing to install the springs. It took them a full work day with 2 technicians to install the springs and cost about $550. Knowing that this work requires rear seats, speakers etc to be taken out prior to installation I didn't want to take the car to unauthorized and questionable services that I don't trust.

- Looks worse. As a result of lowering, the previously proportional fender gap is now disproportional. The space gap on left and right of tires looks like rice "low rider" with tiny wheels.

- Low clearance. Middle bottom of my car scratches/grinds the ground each time I enter and exit garage in a diagonal slope.

In an effort to fix BMW's factory defect I now feel like I'm screwing myself and the car even more, only because BMW has its head up their butt about this problem. I'm be OK to take it back to BMW service and having to pay another $550 to put the old springs back, but I don't know if they would return suspension warranty or not as it's been 48 hours with me driving the car like this. What do you guys think and recommend?
Wow, you are the first person I have heard to say that it looks worse! LOL!

If I were you I would give it a chance. I mean you were obviously fed up with the clunking sound from the stock suspension and took your own action to rectify the defect. It is unfortunate the BMW has decided to void your spring suspension warranty. Many people get this done at a private tuning shop. By the way how is the ride quality? I've only heard one person say that the ride quality is too harsh and they actually switched back to stock. Just give it some time and if after a while you can't stand it because of the look, or ride quality, or whatever, then just switch back.

Appreciate 0