03-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Did the jacking on the diff, feel ok, ive had a quick look at the finned area, and wasnt sure ?. Did you check the front member, after jacking, to see if there was any damage at all ?
I think the folded towel as padding helps when doing both the lift at the diff and the front. The lift pad on my floor jack is a little deeper concave than the projection of the aluminum dome on the front under engine tray, and I didn't want to possibly dent the aluminum tray when lifting. No bending or any sign that the tray was torqued in the front. I'm not sure why BMW has the very solid 'dome' welded into the tray. It's either a sort of skid pad, or is actually there for a floor jack lift point.

I was concerned that the differential might shift as the jack lifted the car, but it was solid as a rock with no creaking or flexing. I'm still worried about those long thin fins, but with the padding to distribute the load more evenly and to avoid slippage in a metal to metal lift, I don't think there's a problem.
Appreciate 0