View Single Post
      11-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #54
Silver TT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Hunting for M5 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copasetic222 View Post
I have a friend in the Twin Cities who has a company that cryogenically treats brake rotors to last longer. We use them on our track cars.

I called him for advice when I was looking at two pre-owned M5's with CCB's. His advice was stay away. Not enough apparent difference in performance on the street to warrant the cost plus the rotors can crack from rock chips, etc. BMW wants 13 grand for replacement front ceramic rotors and pads.

He also said he has clients that buy Porsche GT3's that only come with ceramic brakes. They come to him and spend 5 grand to replace them with steel brakes in order to avoid the costly replacement parts if there is a problem. They put the ceramics back on when they sell the car.

I took his advice, and now I clean my wheels a lot.
Ha...hear you on cleaning the wheels a lot. Very good information on the rock chips. Also heard you have to be really careful with cleaning solvents and the like which is a bit scary to me given I occasionally have to use a brushless car wash (not often but when absolutely necessary like middle of winter) and would really hate to have any adverse effects from something like that.