02-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #93
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Dudes,

I'll give it you straight. If you haven't started the car in like 12 hours the Cold Start is CRAZY LOUD! It literally shakes my house. However, it only lasts for like a minute or so and gets tolerable. So far I haven't had any neighbors complain like they did on my straight-piped E60 V10. For some reason I think the Cold Start on the E60 M5 was much longer.

As for wives, wimps, and your kids. Wives will probably hate it from the outside. On the inside it's really not loud at all. The sound proofing of the cabin on the F10 is too good, that's why I don't like the stock exhaust, cause you can't hear anything really. For wimps like your neighbors, they might not like it either. For kids, they will probably love it! It sounds like RACE CAR!

I would say that if you want switchablity, then have some shop design you a custom valve system. Me personally I want FULL RACE CAR mode all of the time. When I encounter cops, I just throw the DCT in D Mode and the exhaust isn't really loud at all at low rpms. It's only when you go full throttle and such it roars like a monster.

Like Rob said, this setup aint for the faint of heart. You will definitely get attention, but I love it.

If you don't want this level of roar then I would suggest going with the Eisenmann Race and calling it a day.
Yo Dave that sound is bada** but there is NO WAY that it is quiet in the cabin. :-) I have the E-Race and on day 1 I convinced myself that I couldn't really hear it but after a few days I realized I was fooling myself. The F10, like you said, is WAY more insulated from noise than the E60 (my RPI GTS got on my nerves at times I did not want to roar) but you definitely hear those exhausts (RARE-but there were definitely some times). Your sound is AMAZING but I think people who are concerned about the "luxury" side of things in terms of quiet will HATE it-no?-lol!

You are right about the shorter cold start. The F10 does seem to settle down much quicker. Honestly, my wife does not like the E-Race at all. It is too noisy to her (I think she is jaded from the memories of that V10 with the RPI :-) I am switching mine out to a modified BMW exhaust and downpipes tomorrow. I am not doing this because of noise. I am doing it because the whole setup is perfectly performance matched with my tune. I like the throaty sound of the E-Race but for a time I did have the OEM mufflers with the valves wired open and it did give a nice sporty sound that I COULD hear in the cabin, just not at idle. The cold start actually sounded quite nice and refined. The new setup should be slightly louder but a big drop from the E-Race.

On that note...I have a NEW set of E-Race (not installed-this is a different set that I ordered and have not yet used. Returning current set to IND). It is the 90mm round with custom matte black powdercoated cans and gloss black powdercoated tips with a Silverstone M logo if anyone might be interested (not jackin your thread here-thought a few guys here are considering upgrades so I'd throw it out there. Hope you don;t mind.)

BTW-your car looks FREAKING AWESOME. I absolutely LOVE the blacked out touches you have done with the IND stuff (I assume itis IND). It is one of the best looking F10 M5s I have seen. It looks sleek and mean. I have the pics from your latest pic thread up on my other monitor and am about to show it to my wife. I think I want to move and I am going to show her just how pretty my M5 might look with some of those San Diego backdrops.

Mike

Last edited by ColdList; 02-28-2013 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0