09-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #31
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
So what are you saying that the ECU and other electronics on the car is cooled by water cooling? That doesn't sound good either. Water and electronics don't mix.
I am not talking about sensors and other crap like that, I am talking about ECU and TCU, and other electronics that control the climate control, dashboard, etc. Usually it is either placed by the firewall or the trunk. Obviously if it is in the trunk then heat won't be a problem but if it is anywhere by the firewall then better be shielded insanely as the heat from the turbo's will definitely get at it.
Also Heat may not be a factor in the air coming out of it but I am willing to guarantee that there will be significant heat problems with the heat coming out of the turbo's exterior ( not the air pumped through).
Time will tell.
This design really boggles the mind. Heat from the engine also rises so it will also heat up the cooled air somewhat as also will heat up the turbo's that are on top. I hope BMW know what they are doing with this design. I just hope this isn't one of those HPFP things.
I had a water cooled CPU on my gaming PC, but in all seriousness they are water-cooled with sinks and there is no way the ECU will get wet, this is a car and they are water proofed.

People make this engine out to be something new- it's been in different forms for over three years and there are no issues with cooling or heat, it is engineered to cope with it. If they took a normal block and engin design and strapped turbos in the V there would be issues, when you build in extra water jackets, heat sinks, shrouds, fans radiators and a whole bunch more it is all covered. They ran this thing in stop and go in the desert, in death valley, at Button Willow and now Ascari at 93 degrees without concern.