View Single Post
      01-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #43
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Nice Review!

In just the last year I have done 2 deliveries at the PDC (X6M and M6) as well as the 2-Day M School (Nov). I am also signed up for the Advanced M School at VIR at the end of this coming April. The instructors and the facility are a true joy to deal with!

I will take one exception to one comments that has already been made... Leave your video camera at home!

I would NOT suggest taking along any car mounted camera during these events (Hero, GoPro, or otherwise). I purposefully made a decision NOT to do this during the 2-Day M School.

There were a couple of folks who did bring along their cameras to be used in the cars and they I'm pretty sure they proved to be a major distraction to these people during the class. There are 3 different vehicles that are used during these classes. (My class was one of the last to use the 1M's - and we also had the M5's and M3's). A student typically runs three activities each morning and three more each afternoon. Each activity typically involves a different vehicle. You basically are hopping in/out of each of the three vehicles in the morning and then doing it all over again in the afternoon.

The folks that brought cameras spend a bunch of each time we changed cars to get their cameras mounted and ready to go. Time that could have been spent otherwise contemplating what the exercise was about or even getting their M "modes" properly configured (rather than their cameras). This appeared to be a major distraction and loss of continuity on their part...

IMHO: it was a lot like a tourist who spends much of their time viewing their trip through a camera viewfinder rather than actually experiencing the event first hand. I understand that the analogy is not perfect as once the cameras are set up then they just run for the rest of the event. However, I personally think the loss in continuity for those folks who did choose to continually mount/remount their cameras was somewhat detrimental to the program (at least for them). The folks who spent time worrying about getting their cameras mounted were NOT the folks most focused on learning the skills presented (at least in my class of 15).

I have a nice Sony full 3D / HD video camera that I thought long and hard about brining down to the class. Although it would be really cool to have come away with full 3D HD cockpit video of the events, I'm actually really glad I did not have that distraction/temptation during my visit.

The cars were equipped with Racekeeper video equipment in any case. ...and truth be told, the video you record is VERY anticlimactic (IOW: boring) with respect to what you actually experienced at the track. Video of the driving is just NOT that interesting. The speed appears to be completely lost in the video environment.

My $0.02...
Appreciate 0