View Single Post
      07-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

I did my ED last year first week of October. Austria mandates that from October 15 or 16, that the car be equipped with snow tires or snow chains. Germany does not have a specific date (in the past, it had and used to be the same date as Austria's) and instead mandates the availability of either when condition warrants (meaning even if in the middle of July and there are snow conditions in the mountains that the car have the necessary tires/chains). I was also told that the cops may stop you just to inspect that you have those necessary equipment and of course the required travel tax stickers (in Switzerland and Austria) I have mapped out to go through several passes and in my research that some of the Alpiine passes may have snow condition as early as October and up to early May. If you are not going through any of the passes through the Alps, then you should be fine. Anyway, October last year was quite pleasant, not cold and not hot. We went through those Alpine passes without any problems and it was dry -- we even stayed at a ski lodge (at least during the winter months) and the grass was green with flowery shruberry all around.