View Single Post
      06-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #50
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc19 View Post
Yeah, I don't get that either. It is not like having a manual option hurts those that don't see the point.

And to all those who don't understand wanting to drive a manual, why does anyone have to like anything? I like mechanical watches, sure there are digital watches (heck, my iPhone included) that keep better time, but I still prefer a good mechanical watch to anything else. And I prefer to row my own gears... sure technology can do it faster, but I just prefer it. Driving is not the same for me if I am not working 3 pedals. It's just not. Call me whatever you want, but it is what I like.

I think it is a shame, and I find it curious that BMW is making this public so far out in the future.
I understand your stance perfectly, and automatic watches are lovely, but really you shouldn't be surprised. If Ferrari have all but ditched manual transmissions entirely why should you be surprised BMW springs an early obituary for the manual M5? To my mind it's simply not that kind of car anymore, I agree those looking for a manual M5 should probably buy an M3 instead.

And it's not just BMW and Ferrari, Porsche are (deliberately/cynically or not) giving manual drivers pause for thought for the first time - does a 7-speed manual 911 have one gear too many for hand-and-foot shifting? I can guarantee you the ratio of manual/auto for new 911s will increase dramatically. Also, the Stuttgart company has confirmed that for the first time the next GT3 will have a PDK option - that should make one think a bit longer too.
Appreciate 0