11-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
DocMick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

Check Engine and "Drivetrain Malfunction"

Hello everyone,

I'll start from the beginning with this one. I have an F10 M5 at 11K miles with the usual break-in service and obligatory monthly oil additions, always fill up with 91, no problems until recently.

About a week and a half ago I notice some rough idle. The car sits at the stoplight, tach steady at just under 1,000 rpm, then it dips and the engine shakes a bit, then back to normal. I ask a friend who has the same car, says his does the same thing, so I just watch it... keeps doing it, I take it last week for service. They find nothing, do an oil change, return the car with recommendations to only use Chevron or Shell.

Well today, about a week later, I am pulling away from a stop going about 35 and the engine starts knocking and shaking and I pull off the gas, it slows down, engine is shaky and rough all the way to standstill. Check engine light comes on and the screen reads "Drivetrain Malfunction: drive moderately, maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult service center."

Dropped it off 10min later, then went to work. Service guy leaves message to "update" me... theyre holding the car overnight, not telling me anything about diagnostics.

So I bring it to the wizards on this forum...

It all started with these hiccups during idling.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0