01-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #14
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
The new F80 will be a great car for sure, but in the end it just depends on what you really want/need out of a car.

With the new F80/82 keep in mind you won't be able to enjoy these things:

- No Bang & Olufsen Sound System
- No Soft Close Doors
- No Ventilated Seats
- No rear heated seats
- Less trunk space
- Less rear seat space
- No V8 exhaust note
- No Rear Seat Entertainment
- No Night Vision Detection System
- No Active Seats (Butt Massagers)
- No Competition Package
- No 4-Zone Climate Control
- No Power Open/Close Trunk

But the new M3/M4 are getting a lot stuff that they have never had before:

- Heads Up Display
- Full Leather Interior
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Carbon Ceramic Brakes
- Front Parking Sensors
- Rear View Camera
- Side and Top View Cameras
- Lane Departure Warning
- Forward Collision Warning
- Active Blind Spot Detection
- Full LED Headlights
- Automatic Highbeams

And here are some things the new M3/M4 will get that not even the M5/M6 is getting:

- Pedestrian Warning
- City Collision Mitigation
- Parallel Parking Assistant
- Active Cruise Control
- Carbon Fiber Roof (M6 gets this though)

I would say that compared to the F80 M3 the F10 M5 can offer more luxury, more space and utility, and more straight line performance as well as a better exhaust note to go with it. The F80 M3 main trump over the F10 M5 will be that it will MUCH MUCH BETTER in the turns on a race track. Everything else the F10 M5 will do better with the exception of the 5 things I've listed above that the F10 M5 cannot get.

One last thing that I think may be an advantage of the F80 M3 over the F10 M5 and that is actual vehicle size. Sometimes size does matter. Sometimes it's nicer to have a smaller car in certain situations, mostly when it comes to parking. It's easier to park a smaller car and it's more comforting to know that there's less of a chance of getting door dings when you take your car to the mall. Or if you have a garage at home with limited space. In this regard I have always preferred the E60 M5 to the F10 M5.

In my calculations and according to the newly released ordering guide for "military" overseas, you will be able to order a fully loaded F80 M3, even with Carbon Ceramic Brakes and still be under the base price of an F10 M5, $92,900. Additionally the F10 M5 will still come with a $1,300 gas guzzler tax, where as I highly doubt that the M3/M4 will have one (not released yet though. So that puts a base price of $94,200 on the F10 M5 where as 100% fully loaded M3 will cost you right about $86,875. For this price you are getting a car that is what I would say is somewhere between 75% - 85% the performance of the M5 and 70% - 80% of the luxury, utility, and comfort of the M5.
Amen brother.

A slightly smaller and almost as capable 4 door M sedan is exactly what I want. WINNING!

2016 LCI F80 ZCP ED baby!!
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0