View Single Post
      01-18-2014, 02:04 PM   #18
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Finally Landed on All Black M5

Just Splurged on myself.
But not after lengthy buying process that went something like this...
-Went in to BMW dealer to buy a 535d Sport over a month ago. Superb and practical all-arounder but steering was numb.
-Tried a 335i Sport 6MT, better driving experience for sure but a little short on luxury (and steering feel still a little off).
-Tested 550i Sport, excellent but steering feel about the same as 535d. 535d better vehicle IMO and would never consider 550i over 535d.
-After seeing price of loaded 550i, I thought that why not go for M5. (Typically what happens to me when car shopping... I start off all frugal but at some point capitulate and go all out and throw prudence out with my money.). Tested base 2013 M5 and was let down again with steering feel. Shocked how BMW could screw this up on such an important model.
-Decided that I would go with an M3 and wait until mid-2014. This lasted a few days when I decided that I couldn't wait this long to take delivery.
-Drove 335i again, unable to convince myself that I valued ride over luxury.
-Drove 2014 M5 with Competition Package. Immediately realized that BMW sorted out 75 percent of steering problems and it was enough for me. Actually felt the road a little through the wheel. This was the car for me just needed to pick color and specs, and transmission. Drove 6MT M5, ultimately decided that it was not right for the car for me. Decided on Space Gray over Silverstone and placed my order.
-Detroit Auto Show started and I got caught up in the M3 hoopla, cancelled M5 order because I talked myself into believing that the M3 with the 6MT would be the perfect combination and drive and luxury.
-After looking at all available pictures of the M3 over the next couple days, decided that I didn't like some of the styling elements and decided that it wasn't for me, and didn't want to risk waiting to buy first year production model, particularly without driving it.
-Located all black loaded (excluding night vision, CCB and rear entertainment) M5.
Picking it up next week. It is hard to break the black habit.
Appreciate 0