View Single Post
      12-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #38
pdp4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
I think most people who say M5 "because it can carry kids" are just carrying mainstream words. I mean come on, how often do you drive your whole family in your M5? If too often to choose an M5 - then you bought the wrong car. Better choice would've been a 5 series and a dedicated 2 door sports car.

I think the preference is based on age and how men view themselves and their image. A 30+ years old man coming out of M6 can look "show off" or awkward at times. I've had M6 and now M5 F10 and I find M5 to be the best overall car in the world, and fastest sedan in the world. M6 is far from being fastest coupe in the world (not even in top 20 probably).

M5 is more a car for "how you see yourself", M6 is more of a car for "how others see you" or "how you want others to see you".
I disagree. Image is important, but M cars are at a totally different performance level and my kids are extremely comfortable in my M5. I very much appreciate the dynamics and performance of an M car (I have had them since '99), and I feel that I actually use "M" parts on the road.
I actually did consider a P car - Panamera Turbo, but it was significantly more expensive to lease and maintain and it had only 2 seats at the back - I have three kids and and they are very comfortable in M5 with one kid still in a child seat. M6 actually had very usable back seats, but two and I was too lazy to get out every time to let kids/in and out.

The only thing I wish M5 would have (and Panamera Turbo has it) is 4 wheel drive. It would be very useful for Chicago. I met BMW M engineers at Munich when I picked up M5 and asked about all wheel drive. They said they are not even considering it because you cannot achieve a balance of a sport car with 4 wheel drive. When I asked if they feel that Porsche 911 Turbo had good sports car balance, they had nothing to answer. After all they've built X5M and it has all wheel drive. Anyway, I already put my snow tires on my M5 and will live with rear wheel drive till the option shows up in a sedan. 550xi is a great car that I test drove, but it is not an M5, and it is not just image for me.
Appreciate 0