View Single Post
      08-12-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonm3ny View Post
I too am interested in possibly getting into a 3-4 yrs old M5. How reliable are these cars? I've been reading the forums hoping I can track these for future reference. Could you link me to a thread that talks about reliability and such if any. Thx
The 2013 BMW M5 here in America has been hit especially hard with depreciation because BMW created a huge surplus of the 2013 Model Year M5 when they decided on their production strategy back in 2012. The 2014, 2015, and 2016 M5 here in American will see less depreciation the older they get because there simply aren't as many of them, plus the 2014 was the start of the LCI for the M5 and included some options you couldn't get on the 2013's such as LED Headlights, Competition Package, Carbon Ceramic brakes, etc, further helping to lessen depreciation.

As far as reliability, you have to remember that for the American market, the 2013 M5 was the second production year of the M5, they never got the 2012 which gave the company a whole production year to sort out bugs. In general 2013 M5 have proven themselves to be vastly more reliable than the previous generation E60 M5. In the E60 M5 there were undeniable design flaws in engineering with that car, with the F10 M5 there simply aren't any such design flaws. The DCT is pretty much rock solid, the engine is almost bullet proof, and other components are much better engineered, to include some of the most fundamental designs of the car, such as the chassis itself. The F10 platform on its own, doesn't matter if it's a 528i, 535i, 550i, or M5, is vastly superior engineering design and product compared to the E60. Most of the major issues related to the M5 in general have been due to software, which BMW does update. There have been a few isolated cases of an F10 M5 engine dying or drivetrain malfunctions occurring for no explicable reasons, but compared to say even the new F80 M3/F82 M4, they have had more engine failures in the past year than the F10 M5 and F13 M6 have had in the past 3 years of production.

So with that, even a used 2013 F10 M5 with 80,000 miles on it will be a fairly bullet proof car. People just don't realize that BMW cars in general these days have come a long way in engineering and reliability, although each series and generation will always have its quirks. No product is perfect, but at least we haven't seen something like the N54 turbo, S85 Rod Bearing, or SMG III Clutch problems in any of today's newer BMW's.

Some simple things to watch out for when shopping for a used F10 M5 are some of the following (please feel free to add something if I forget):

- Bang and Olufsen Sound System buzzing from dash center speaker

- Rattling from B-Pillars

- Clicking noise from front wheels (dirt caught in the knuckle of the wheel)

- Excessive brake squeeling (Service Bulletin out about this by BMW)

- Excessive oil consumption (happens to almost all F10 M5's)

- Rear Brake Pads and rotors naturally wear out faster than the fronts on the F10 M5 due to nature of Stability Control System.

- Style 601M wheels on Competition Package may get bent more easily because they are cast and not forged. Also the 601M's are heavier than the 343M's.

That's pretty much it!

Some other things every buyer should know about the F10 M5.

- BMW's recommended maintenance plan calls for a spark plug change about every 50,000 miles, so if you buy a car approaching 50,000 miles you should change the spark plugs soon.

- BMW still sets the regular oil change interval to 12,000 miles, this was lowered from 14,000 miles in the past. I recommend changing it every 6,000 miles and I also recommend switching to Liqui-Moly 5W-30.

- BMW Carbon Ceramic brake rotors will need to be changed every 100,000 miles and pads every 50,000 miles for regular driving. If used on the track, the ceramic pads and rotors will need to be changed sooner. Also a single rotor is about $4,000 dollars. Have fun replacing those.

- BMW recommends changing the DCT fluid about every 100,000 miles. This is compared to every 25,000 to 40,000 miles on the old SMG III.

- For normal every day driving with maybe a couple track sessions, you can expect to change the standard steel rotors about every 50,000 miles, same with the pads on the front. Like I said, the rears wear faster though.

Last edited by RPiM5; 08-13-2015 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 4