View Single Post
      05-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
A soft brake pedal after a few minutes of hard driving implicates the brake FLUID, not the pads or rotors. Inadequate pads or rotors (in which case carbon ceramic would be the fix) would be indicated by increased stopping distance at maximum braking pressure after a while compared to a baseline stopping distance at maximum pressure -- but that's impossible to confirm if the brake fluid boils first, because boiled brake fluid lowers the amount of pressure that can be transmitted to the pads in the first place, in which case increased stopping distance could be caused solely by the reduced pressure being transmitted to the pads, not necessarily the pads and rotors being overheated.

I'd be curious to know what would happen just swapping some Castrol SRF in there. If you do that and THEN you get brake fade, then that's the point where you either need carbon ceramic or an aftermarket BBK. But if the fluid is boiling first, then considering upgraded fluid is a pretty cheap and quick fix, I'd be interested to see how the brakes hold up after that upgrade is in place.
I replaced brake pads because they burned and started squeaking quite early, but still had 90% beef on them. They were mildly squeaking when braking at about 25 km/h and high-pitch heavy screeching sound when braking from 5 km/h to 0 km/h and even when turning off the car.

About brake fluid for heavy driving, I'll see about changing brake fluid and definitely report results once I do. Will probably take a couple of weeks though. Thanks for the recommendation.
Appreciate 0