United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipSauls View Post
In a few years when every car is full electric, or electric with a range extender, technologies such as this will be commonplace. That BMW is pioneering it now is a good thing, and the result is that by the time we no longer have V8s or V10s to enjoy, we likely won't be able to tell.

I'm as much a "petrol head" as many on these boards, but I just don't see how we'll continue with our love of these engines. After driving lots of high-torque and low RPM engines, including everything from the 3.0 liter diesel in my X5 to an 8 liter V10 in a Viper Competition Coupe, I think that the instant torque of an electric motor is going to be great once the battery energy density issues are worked out, and they will be. Being able to have the car sound (and likely "feel" via resonators, etc.) like a V8, V10, V12, or whatever, will be great. Sure, it's "videogame" like, but most cars are and have been for a while now.

If you're not ready to embrace the future, there are always classic cars that you can buy, drive, and enjoy.
While the instant torque of an electric motor will make driving fully electric cars fun, I disagree with adding the soundtrack of a petrol engine to it. Doing so means the car is pretending to be something it is not, which is what I don't like. I don't want my car to be a "poser". If I'm driving an electric car, I would prefer it just sound electric. Of course, there is the problem of electric cars and motorcycles being too quiet which causes a pedestrian safety concern as well.

I agree though, those of us who enjoy the sounds of non-sound enhanced petrol cars should look at keeping a "classic" car around for the long haul. That goes for those of us who prefer to drive manual transmission cars as well. I last I read is that only 4% of new cars sold have a manual.