View Single Post
      03-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #104
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Guys, here's an update on my RPi GTM (Straightpiped) ownership experience so far. I've had the setup on now for almost a month and am still loving it although my thoughts have change a bit on it now.

Somewhere on this Forum Rob///M5 made a really good list of a scale of 1-10 of loudness of exhausts, but I can't find it. I was going to post it again here but I'll just make up my own based on my experience instead. If anyone finds it, please post it. Thanks.

Anyways, after playing with my buddy's Stage 2 E60 M5 a few weekends ago and also hearing my other buddies Straightpiped Lambo Superleggera, here's how I rank the exhausts that are out today:

-Again ranging from 1 (mouse peeping in the night) to 10 (jet aircraft at full afterburner).

1. F10 M5 Stock Exhaust (Although the crack from the stock exhaust is louder than most other aftermarket exhausts, I think it may be because the stock mufflers are actually smaller than a lot aftermarket ones)
2. F10 M5 Eisenmann Sport (Mufflers Only) / RPi GTS Exhaust / Akropovic Exhaust
3. F10 M5 RPi GT Exhaust
4. F10 M5 Eisenmann Race Exhaust (Mufflers Only)
5. F10 M5 Supersprint Exhaust (Mufflers Only)
6. F10 M5 Meisterschaft GT Exhaust
7. F10 M5 RPi GTM Exhaust (The Cracks from the exhaust will actually hurt your eardrums though) / E60 M5 RPi GTS Exhaust
8. E60 M5 RPi GT Exhaust / E60 M5 Eisenmann Race Exhaust / E92 M3 RPi GTM Exhaust.
9. E60 M5 RPi Stage 2 with Full GT Headers and GT Exhaust / Almost any E60 with Headers and Exhaust / Straightpiped Merc C63 / Straightpiped Aston DBS
10. Straightpiped Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera / Straightpiped Porsche Carrera GT / Straightpiped Lambo Aventador

The only one I haven't heard in real life is the F10 M5 Hartge Exhaust System, it would be interesting to hear that one as they also make a Muffler Deleted System as well.

Once again this is based off of my personal experience. I live for sound and consider myself an aficianado of exhaust quality and decibel level. So as you can see according to my updated list the F10 M5 RPi GTM with the muffler deletes falls out around a level 7. My Goal is to get it up to a level 9 with the inclusion of some downpipes, I just hope that it can be done. Getting an F10 M5 to a level 10 will be impossible due to the turbos.

One of the best indicators that I use for how epic an exhaust sounds is by driving around town and watching how people react on the street. If the people on the street stop what they are doing and turn their head to look at your car, then you've got a beast. If not keep working at it. Lol!

With the F10 M5 RPi GTM, I get looks about 50% of the time from people hearing the loud exhaust. It's kind of hit or miss. With my old Stage 2 E60 M5, I was getting looks 100% of the time.

I would like to reiterate again, that the straightpipes design on the F10 M5 is rather tame inside the cabin. It's so tame in fact that I hate it! LOL! I can barely hear the exhaust with all of the windows up. I have resigned to driving around all the time now with at least my sunroof open. With all of the windows down it sounds better, but when you go in tunnels, underneath highway overpasses or are surrounded by tall buildings on each side of the street, you can really hear the GTM in all of its glory. The soundproofing on the F10 M5 is too damn good! On the plus side, because of the soundproofing the Bang & Olufsen still sounds fantastic as always, there's no competition between the GTM and the B&O.

I might just make a new thread on this.

Cheers

Last edited by RPiM5; 03-11-2013 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0