Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I was out shooting a project today that involved excavating old graves. As it got late and the sun started coming in from the side the bottoms of the graves got dark, so I had to crank the ISO and shoot wide open. That was working fine. Then I heard the unmistakable sound of twin radial airplane engines coming from the airport just behind the treeline to our south. I turned to look and was amazed to see a B-24 bomber lifting off at about 700ft and maybe a half mile away. I had my 70-200 mounted, but by the time I realized what I was seeing and then adjusted my settings, the plane was tail towards me and too far away. Trying a shot into a bright sky at 1600 ISO and f2.8 would have been futile, but I could have just flipped to the little green box and taken a shot. As I never use full auto, it just didn't occur to me to do so and I missed what could have been a cool shot.
This is one reason why I shoot Av Mode and use the wheel on the back of the camera to spin + or - EV. I can change ISO and/or Aperture without taking my eye off the VF and then adjust EV to suit the conditions. It's WAY faster than trying to mess with manual setting and you see all the setting in the VF. Some prefer the Tv Mode, but the choice is personal and I consider Av and Tv equivalent.

The only time that I go for Manual mode is when the subject is moving against a highly variable BG. One example is a bird flying against broken, thick clouds, with patches of blues sky, patches of white clouds and patches of grey clouds. Each of those requires a radically different EV, so I switch (slowly) to manual.

Dave