08-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #4756
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
This is one reason why I shoot Av Mode and use the wheel on the back of the camera to spin + or - EV. I can change ISO and/or Aperture without taking my eye off the VF and then adjust EV to suit the conditions. It's WAY faster than trying to mess with manual setting and you see all the setting in the VF. Some prefer the Tv Mode, but the choice is personal and I consider Av and Tv equivalent.

The only time that I go for Manual mode is when the subject is moving against a highly variable BG. One example is a bird flying against broken, thick clouds, with patches of blues sky, patches of white clouds and patches of grey clouds. Each of those requires a radically different EV, so I switch (slowly) to manual.

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by druu View Post
I agree, nailing it with exposure comp is almost always faster than fiddling with for the right shutter speed.
I tend towards auto-ISO for variable conditions, but this shoot had bright, sunlit soil on top of the trenches and very dark conditions at the bottom. I needed to be outside the trench to get the picture, so the metering was thrown off by the very bright areas around the trench. I'm not sure even a +3 EV would have been enough, but maybe. In any case my settings were working fine for what I was shooting. I certainly never expected a B-24 to come zooming overhead. LOL

I really wish Canon would spread +/- EV to auto-ISO on prosumer bodies. I would be one happy shooter if they did.

I like Ed's suggestion, too. My 5D MkIII has three custom settings and I have one set for birds in flight against a bright sky. I should have switched to that, but again, the bomber was gone in a second or two and I was slow to react. C'est la vie.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 08-13-2014 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0