United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbomb View Post
but surely there is a difference between caring and being interested.
I agree if you own a 560hp car fuel shouldnt be your deciding factor but I for one can afford an M5 and have ordered one but that doesnt mean I can afford to fill the tank up 4 times a week every week. In the UK that would mean 1600 a month just on fuel alone! BTW I know that is a bit of an extreme example.
I am sure you could all afford a lambo's and Ferraris if you wanted them but I bet you say to yourself (I couldnt because of the running costs).
There are people out there that stretch themselves to own their dream car (maybe its an M5) and we shouldnt forget that.
Thanks all. Appreciate the data, and the sentiments. I prefer having all the data, then making informed decisions. The "who cares, it's a $100k car" responses reinforce to me that BMW has over-reported the EPA mileage and that the answer for real-world mpg is "low." Does it matter? For some, "yes"; for others, "no."

re: My e46--it's my track car. Mileage doesn't matter. Was just offering a data point.
I wouldn't say over reported the mileage.

I know some people who have gotten 26 mph highway.

The issue is that the EPA testing procedure is not how an M5 owner drives his car. They don't cruise on highway at >100mph, or engage in rapid acceleration.
Appreciate 0