06-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
Obviously you wanted to nitpick my original statement and start an argument. Looks to me like you got nowhere. Tracking your car is considered improper use I am fairly certain. The warranty is voided if you race the car, that much is very clear.

PR is marketing material and nothing more. You can cut and paste all the statements you want about the car. Sure, put it on the track, ruin it. I don't care and neither will the BMW legal department when you try to use your warranty after tracking the car. I don't think relying on PR material is going to win anything against a legal document such as a warranty.

If you are an actual engineer then you should know better than to rely on PR materials for reliability.

Here is my original statement:

I said you would wear out your car quickly by tracking it. Nothing wrong with that.

I said most of the energy is dissipated as heat. Nothing wrong with that.

I said you really shouldn't race a stock car. BMW warranty explicitly agrees with me.

I said it's not built or designed to handle the kinds of prolonged heat that the constant changing from high to low speed on a track will produce.

I believe this to be a true statement because a race is tracking of a prolonged nature and BMW voids the warranty under those conditions. You have chosen to avoid dealing with the heat issue here. That is what I originally pointed out was the risk involved. You have consistently pointed to other design features not related to the heat. Of course elevated temperatures are the thing that cause the most failures in mechanical systems and in electrical systems. So that is why I mention that. If you are an engineer, then you should understand my original statement and give it a pass. Instead, you seem to be a lawyer because your response is one of a lawyer.

I never said you couldn't use the car for tracking. I just parsed what I said and really, it's not incorrect at all.

I like the car in the video but it's not stock, it was modded for tracking. I see nothing wrong with tracking the car if you have the bucks to do it. I also said that I thought most people would do it with a second car and put a question mark after the statement.

I wasn't trying to start a fight or an argument in my original post. Just making some observations that I believe are accurate, factual and correct.
Looks to me like you were proven wrong actually

I have never questioned that track use will increase wear, in fact I even pointed that out. But again that was never my point. Just as I never debated warranty issues either. Warranty is something you brought up and is also unrelated to wether the engine etc. was designed for track use. I just didn't understand how you could say the M5's engine etc wasn't designed for track use. Especially when BMW themselves say that the M5 is designed for track use. And track days and racing are two different things.

How come you start arguing on other subjects than what the issue is about? Like warranty or wear? You said the car wasn't designed for track use. Wether I track my car and ruin it is a totally unrelated question, as that is my choice. Wether warranty covers track use in litigation happy USA is also a different matter. I have never questioned any of those issues at all.

You might question wether I'm an engineer. That doesn't bother me at all I also work with legal issues daily, so not troubled by having knowledge of legal issues as well.

It seems like you don't realize that in Germany, M5's are repeatedly and prolonged used every day on the Autobahn at speeds over 250km/h. Until you have tried that you probably won't realize that it's very different from driving on 65MPH Highways or Interstates.

The M5 has undergone extensive testing on the Nürburgring. One of the hardest tracks in the world.

Since you are concerned about heat:

Quote:
Added to which, the engine has an extremely powerful cooling system. This is a combination without parallel worldwide and produces the suitably exclusive performance characteristics you would expect from a BMW M car.
The M5 engine has 4 additional electric water pumps to increase cooling. This includes a separate electric water pump that flows water through the turbos and can be operative up to 30 minutes after engine is switched off.

The oil system is also modified to include oil spray nozzles that cool the piston crowns.

In fact, designing a high performance car not capable to deal with the forces and stresses of driving under similar circumstances as on a track would be the same as designing a car not being able to use it's potential without failure occuring... What you are saying is basically that the car/engine etc is able to generate such amounts of energy that it will selfdestruct at any time if that potential is exploited. (And again: Yes, I do realize that driving at 300km/h on the Autobahn or hard on a track is more stressful and increases wear compared to driving back and forth to work at 65MPH on the Highway)

The M5 'Ring Taxi are bone stock M5's apart from racing brake pads (before the CCB option). They race around the Nürburgring week after week on the worlds supposedly hardest race track, with passengers. If that doesn't generate heat, then what does?

But to sum up:

You say the engine etc. in the M5 wasn't designed for track use.
BMW say in their official information that it was designed for track use.

Wether warranty covers racing etc, and that hard use increase wear is a different question.

I choose to side with BMW on this matter and still believe that the M5 is designed to be used on the track as well as on the street

With that I "include myself out" of this debate

Last edited by Boss330; 06-03-2013 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0