View Single Post
      05-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #50
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbmw5 View Post
I'm surprised nothing was meantioned about the DCT clutch plates not holding up especially in the stage 2. They will absolutely need to be upgraded with a set of Dodson performance plates.
It really depends on how hard you drive the car after you add all of that extra torque. The stock components in the DCT hold up just fine over time if you keep the torque levels at the stock 502lbs/ft, but anything over 600lbs/ft and if you drive the car hard, you will begin to see wear and maybe even failure. Joe@Trinity drives his M6 very hard on a monthly basis and he had to upgrade many components to ensure the DCT holds up over time and maintains its smoothness.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1128469

However, even if you modified your car to make 800lbs/ft of torque but only drive the car in city traffic at like 35mph as a daily commuter to work and back with no hard driving on the weekends, you won't run into the same issues as Joe did. So it just depends on how hard you drive the car. I have been running over 600lbs/ft for over a year now with hardly any hard driving and my clutch/DCT have held up for the most part fine with only perhaps a perception that my clutch seemed to engage hard on rare occasion, but even that mostly went away when BMW updated my car with the latest software and some of that code was for making the DCT shift a heck of a lot smoother.

Appreciate 0