12-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #108
m balla
m balla
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
You nailed it in several points there. I'll expand.

Noise: anyone who talks about exhausts 'fixing' the sound has a serious issue. The reason is sounds like a turbo car is because it's turbocharged. There is not one turbocharged car in the entire world that sounds anything like a high performance NA one. Not one.
Car and Driver did a comparo a while back on the GTR, M3 and Porsche Turbo. If you watch the video, it's evident that the only one that sounds like a sports car is the M3. The GTR and Porsche sound like absolutely nothing. BORING!

Experience: this is the whole point of the cars. It's nice to take XX seconds to reach YY speed, but in real life what matters is the experience.
This new car has much, much better numbers than the E60 M5. That was expected. It also sounds like a turbo car, with the same uninspiring note as all the rest of the turbo cars. This is an important part of the experience.
A 335 with boltons is way faster than an E46 M3, but after driving both I had no doubt in my mind: M3. It actually sounds and feels like a sports car. The 335 feels and sounds like a more powerful version of a 330: a civilian car.

The US: And here is the best part of all. I'm appalled when I read about people whining about the lack of torque of the V10 of the desire to have torque monster. What for exactly? On the V10, after pressing the throttle 10 consecutive seconds you can end up in jail.
Hell, I've lived most of my life in Europe, and there I can see the alllure of a retardedly powerful car that sounds like a vacuum cleaner... but here? Come on guys. Here you'll spend almost all the time in the M at 80 mph, and won't even have a nice V10 wail to accompany you.

I'm also surprised when I read all the 'See? The new one is faster than the old one!!'. Yeah duh!! No one ever said it would be slower. By making a turbo M5 they have gone a good ways towards killing the excitement of an M car. Several reviews have already mentioned this (Fifth Gear, Car and Driver), but even if they hadn't, it's still obvious.

I guess the underlying issue is that a lot of people on the boards know little about cars. It's disturbing to read all the 'put an exhaust' comments here and elsewhere, very disturbing. Regarding the 'lack of torque': that's what a special engine has. Low torque, high rpm screamers belong in sports cars. Turbo engines, no matter how powerful they are, are great for soccer moms and others who don't know what a gearshift is.

SYT_Shadow

Driving vs owning are two very different things
Appreciate 0