stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
For years, many people thought Car & Driver was on BMW's payroll. Let's face it, it used to be love fest. And over the last few years as the luxury competition has gotten better and moved further to the sport side, and as BMW has moved more to the luxury side, I understood when C&D and others placed BMW near or behind some of the competition. I share the belief that BMW's M has lost some of its edge and I thought that a lot of bimmer boys just didn't want to admit it. So they blamed C&D.

Then, along come the M5 reviews and wow, they've been over the top negative. I really did start wondering whether C&D may have developed an anti-BMW bias. And now, with the last review of the MT6 M5, I'm not wondering anymore. That review was over-the-top wrong.

Yes, I've been driving MTs for almost 40 years, and yes, I think I know how to drive them pretty well. But I'd expect a professional car reviewer to be as good or better. And since taking precisely four shifts to find the right clutch pick-up point, I've had zero problems shifting smoothing (btw, I keep the throttle in Sport Plus). And that bozo couldn't do the same thing? Further, the exact same MT that C&D has praised for years is suddenly too long and rubbery?

For me, the last review was so bad and non-subjective that it call into question every word that C&D has written about the M5. I'm now one of those bimmer boys who thinks C&D is trash.
This said, I do think C&D used to be more objective. For instance they had the Lexus GS400 on the top 10 list in 2002 because it was the fastest production sedan with exceptional ride quality. You would never see them put a Lexus on the top ten list now regardless of the quality of the product.
Appreciate 0