View Single Post
      11-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer10 View Post
Trying to decide if I really need to move to a 2014 from my 2013 M5. I have decided that for me there is a noticeable improvement and difference in steering feel . The 2014 (one I tested is non competition package (is much less "heavy" feeling when steering and has less high pitched vibration (certainly versus my car). Also I believe having just returned from a 3rd test drive of the 2014 that there is less wind noise at highway speed. Last difference is the seat, yes it has adjustable bolsters but the seat bottom has less ability to tilt up by about an inch. (Yes I measured it ). I felt the seat difference immediately because i am tall and look for the the added tilt so the bottom seat bottom hits my legs. So my question is aside from options is this: anyone aware of any other "mechanical" differences between the 2 years? Appreciate any feedback.
Wow, didn't know that about the seat. Interesting.

There are other mechanical differences but like the steering they are few and very subtle.

Each and every one of us would have their own reasons from switching from a 2013 to a 2014 M5. My only 3 would be:

- Adjustable Side Bolsters
- Competition Package
- Different interior/exterior color combo from what I currently have

I say if you can afford it and have convinced yourself that the trade up is justified for you, then do it. Absolutely. I know this thread isn't about me, but I personally wouldn't do it. Like you, I've driven the 14' with and without the Comp Package. I feel I'd basically be buying the same car over again. The differences in steering feel, and with the Comp Package aren't massive enough for me. If the Comp Package made the F10 M5 steering feel exactly like an E92 M3's steering, then I'd highly consider it. If the Comp Package offered a 60hp increase instead of a 15hp increase, I'd highly consider it. If the Comp Package offered a 150lbs weight reduction, I'd highly consider it. But it doesn't do that on any accounts, the changes to the 14' M5 and with the Comp Package just aren't massive enough for me and unless I have the driving skill to really utilize the extra performance, I think it's a waste. There's drivers out there who could probably lap me in a Fiat Abarth at Laguna Seca, with me driving the 14' Comp Pack M5. I personally think a trade up to a different car is more worthwhile. Say an M6 Coupe, or M6 Gran Coupe, but we all have different needs.

It all really depends on what you want. Here's some more good info on the differences and the offerings of what the LCI M5 is and what the Comp Pack entails. These should answer your questions.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...ties+of+lci+m5

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...ackage+details

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...ackage+details

Last edited by RPiM5; 11-18-2013 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0