02-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat2048 View Post
Here are my theories:

They didn't earn enough income to qualify for financing on a 100k+ car.

OR

They couldn't afford the monthly payment on a 100k+ car (I think the minimum monthly payment would be around $1300-1500 assuming a 72 month term and around 10k down).

OR

They wanted fog lights...
It's usually #1 or #2 here, but funny to think it could be #3.

I personally, have to really try hard not to judge other people and what they do to their cars. I mean it's their personal property, they can do what they want with it right? Well, to an extent anyways. I usually have no problem with people trying to make their 550i or 335i go faster. I mean those are turbo engines to begin with and there is untapped power there. Modifying an NA S65 engine is a different story. Like others have said it is much more difficult, the same was true with the S85.

I believe that mods to ones car fall in two categories, one's that increase performance and one's that do not increase performance. If I see someone spending $20 grand to make an E90 335i go with 700hp off of the stock engine block, I think that is interesting. But when I see people drop $20 grand to make an E92 328i look exactly like an M3 or more done up than an M3, it really makes me feeling like giving a Darwin award to them.

There's only a few things that really get under my skin and I have a hard time biting my tongue when I see these things done to BMW's.

1. Suspension dropped to the ground or hellaflush.
2. Roof Spoilers
3. Racing trunk Spoilers (unless its a dedicated track car)
4. Wide Body kits
5. Anything from Mansory (Lol!)
6. Converting any body panel on a non-///M series car with an ///M body parts (Best example I can think of are those 1///Mer looking front bumpers that people put on their F30 3 series).
7. Increasing the number of exhaust tips. (I mean you don't see M5 owners going from 4 tips to 6!)
8. Oversized wheels (I once knew this kid that put 22" wheels an E63 M6, ).

In the end, I believe the OP has a good point as well as for the reasons as cited by Tomcat.

Appreciate 0