06-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Been to Antigua twice and quite liked it. In the Caribbean I've also been to St.Thomas, St.John, Dominica, and Turks & Caicos. Out of those I would highly suggest Turks & Caicos - more specifically almost any hotel on Grace Bay. It's the most pristine strip of powdery white sand I've ever seen.

Those who love Maui, have you spent time on other islands? I went to Kauai and Maui last year, hitting Kauai first... when we landed in Maui my wife literally cried the whole way to the hotel (the Four Seasons, no less) because she thought it was so ugly. After spending the week there, I also failed to really see the draw. It's very arid, extremely commercial, and really lacks the character that some of the other islands exude - not to mention the horrendous stench of the sugar plantation. The only tropical part (read: pretty part) of the island is the road to Hana and you can't really stay there - the rest of the island is just brown dirt. Even the Four Seasons is kind of a bust... they should spend less time telling me how great the Four Seasons is and more on proving it. They're almost as pompous as a BMW Sales Adviser. The snorkeling is out of this world but the rest of the island just didn't seem like it was worth the flight time. I can't suggest it to anyone with a straight face.

Kauai, on the other hand, is heaven on earth. I can't say enough great things about it.

I was also just in Italy a few weeks ago. I went to Bologna, Milan (skip it), Sirmione (gorgeous), Florence, Siena, Ferrara, and Venice while also stopping at Ducati, Ferrari (skip it and go to a dealership), and Lamborghini. Lambo was absolutely awesome. Worth the drive and every penny that they charge for the tour. Italy is really a special place. The food was great, the scenery was beautiful, and the people are incredible. I didn't encounter one impatient or unkind person as I traveled around. It's a must-go destination.
I've been to the Big Island, Oahu, Maui, Kauai and Molokai.
Kauai is beautiful but not much more to do than look at wonderful scenery. Theres a reason why its picked as many a movies back drop. Its a nice island to take a helicopter ride(we did that, awesome!) and have a honeymoon or romantic couple of days. It gets boring there very quick though. I can only look at amazing foliage for so long. For me Maui offers so much more. Good nightlife, the port and town of Lahaina has alot to do and see and has a downtown with a Greenwich Village feel, Kihea with some of the best beaches in the world, Hana as you mentioned, Paia(hippy town) is a cool little place to hang out(Bought some cool stuff at Alice Coopers store there last week), Jaws- some of the biggest killer surfing waves on the planet, Haleakalā- the 10,000ft volcano has has be be on everyones list to see from the summit, amazing out of this world experience!, McKenna-home of stars like Clint Eastwood, Mick Fleetwood, Oprah and many others, a town with a Bevery Hill feel with great golf courses and eateries. Maui offers so much. Including the Ioa Valley, a couple miles from my brothers house. A Kauai like nirvana which averages about 400 inches of rain a year with amazing foliage, waterfalls and rivrs. Nothing arid here. Just gotta know where to go

Wife and I liked Kauai and the other islands but we are looking to Maui for a place to retire.
To each his own.

Last edited by NYC6; 06-25-2012 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0