United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamando
Awesome gains in fuel economy for the new generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolchu001 View Post
Very good MPG numbers. If the upcoming 335d receives a similar 8 speed auto, we could easily see 40MPG!
Any word on if this will happen? The Diesel rumors haven't seemed to pan out lately and BMW seems to be mum on U.S. diesels at the moment. 40+mpg highway is completely doable in the current d given good traffic flow and driving the speed limit (which is the hard part lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL View Post
considering that the 2011 BMW 335d gets 23 city / 36 highway, this means that the new F30 328i gets one better MPG city and matchs the 335d Highway. Isn't the new 328i performance wise faster than the 335d?
Matches the listed highway performance but we will have to see what the real world numbers come out to. I have personally seen 40.85mpg on a 600mile (un-refueled) trip from Alabama to Texas in the past (even more on shorter trips). February's Road and Track lists the 328i at 5.7s 0-60 for the manual and 5.9s for the Auto. In comparison Road and Track has pulled out a 5.3s 0-60 run back in 2009 in the d. http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/comparison/2009-audi-a4-3.2-quattro-vs.-2009-bmw-335d. Where the d shines and I don't think the new 328i can match it, is passing acceleration. The d is simply a beast in this regard.
New diesels are coming but NOT for sedans.The sedans will get Active Hybrid versions for the US.

According to sources there will be new 4 cylinder and a new 6 coming as well. The X3 will be announced with a diesel as will the X1 (4 cylinder with Countryman reportedly )

As for EPA- whatever mode the car starts in (default=comfort) is what is used for testing. ECO Pro will yield even better numbers- I have seen upwards of 2 mpg when I use it to it's optimum.

More to come soon- Porsche is also going tri-turbo like BMW so FI is going to get even more interesting.