09-08-2021, 07:32 AM   #4
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 _ San Marino Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro7 View Post
Thanks for the add. I have a 2013 m5 I purchased 2 years ago. What an awesome performance sedan. I purchased it with 110,000 kms. on it. It had a brand new motor installed under warranty. I have an issue with an oil leak hoping someone on the forum can help me out. The dealer said it is leaking around the vanos actuator and the motor needs to come out. Can someone tell me if this is true and where this vanos is located? when I bought the car it came with 6 months warranty but that has expired. they need 4000.00 to do the repair. any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
That's a load of crap, as the vanos are accessible with the engine in the vehicle. Did they give you any detailed breakdown of why they think its this? Usually vanos issues come with indicative codes, rough idle issues, amongst other things. Very vague to just assume its something without any details to back it up. These engines have 4 vanos solenoids and actuators, 2 on each cylinder head behind the charge coolers. If you're hands on with your car it is DIY'able, if not i would suggest finding a better shop that is not going to break your wallet. However i would do some more extensive diagnosting before just diving into something like this. The actual solenoid sensor has a very tight seal, and the actuator is under the valve cover.

Last edited by ruben356; 09-08-2021 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60093.00