03-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #27
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg View Post
OK. So I have now experimented some. Since the weather has been warmer I have been having more "fun" in the car. Lots of 15-100mph runs with some guys at work; just generally enjoying the backroads more; less time with the wife in the car; etc. This means a lot more time in S+/S/S with D2 or D3 or just Manual 3. Carbon filters have been deleted. I'm now at ~6200 miles.

Up till this trip to Atlanta last night I had been at 17 mpg for more or less duration of that fun time.

This is significantly different than on the last sampling I provided where 2-3 mpg was more typical.

Note this is still principally across my daily commute route (a mix of urban and interstate to the tune 26 mi one way): no weekend trips (till this weekend) and no track / off road events.

Last night I was in "limo" mode and got 24 mpg from Decatur, AL to Lithia Springs, GA. So I can still drive conservatively and there is nothing "wrong" with the car.

Half way through my trip (~6100), my add oil warning was displayed. I added oil: no drama.

I say all of this to indicate that it is now my experience that how you drive the M5 has a meaningful impact on oil consumption. BUT one sample does not a conclusion make. (Channeling Yoda there.)

Now if someone else would like to repeat the experiment one way or the other (hard to soft / soft to hard) I'd be happy for another datapoint.
So your consumption is 1100 miles/litre as you topped off @ 5100 miles last time.Thats a big thirst to me.