View Single Post
      09-24-2012, 11:31 PM   #17
Racer Louis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Normal Oil Consumption

From my perspective I'd be more concerned about an engine that doesn't consume oil than one that does. If you want a car that doesn't consume oil buy a Lexus. If you want a HIGH performance engine you should expect some oil consumption. If everything fits so tight that no oil is consumed that means more friction and heat. In my race car I go through about a quart a day on a recently rebuilt engine build to racing specs.

In addition to my F10 M5 I also own an E39 M5 that I've owned since 1999 (Nov 1999 build). The E39 has consumed about 1 liter of the 10W-60 oil just about every 1,200 miles since day one. In the beginning I asked both BMW NA and BMW AG and they both said that was normal. For a while they changed the piston and ring design and went with 10W-30 oil because so many people "freaked-out" about the consumption. Customers ended up with less oil consumption but not necessarily a better engine.

My Porsche 911, that I owned for 10 years, stated in the owner's manual normal oil consumption was a quart every 600 miles; and it was.
Appreciate 0