Average Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i, Gone 2011 BMW 550i,

Great point!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight View Post
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...cadillac-cts-v

It's a very good comparison. And, of course, it's closer than many here would have been willing to admit. The CTS-V's simpler, less sophisticated approach makes an excellent contrast--spotlighting all the strengths and weaknesses of the F10 M5.

I will note that R&T's decision to obtain the rarest of rare M5s with a manual transmission in order to go manual to manual with the almost equally rare Cadillac Tremec TR-6060 six-speed appears to be an attempt to skew the results. A comparison of the M5's 7-speed MDCT with the V's ancient (and achingly slow) GML80 6-speed automatic would have resulted in a far greater point total for the M5.

Now before you all go leaping to the defense of the M5, let me tell you that my 2010 CTS-V is essentially identical to the 2012 CTS-V test vehicle (with the exception of the aforementioned manual transmission) and I've had a deposit down and been waiting for a production number on an M5 since April. Why did I do that when I already own a car that's 95% of what the M5 is with an interest free loan courtesy of the American taxpayer? Simple, because I can afford the best, and the M5 is that. As a day-to-day driver and an incredibly sophisticated luxury sedan that also happens to double as a close to full-tilt race car when I get bored, there is no comparison--the M5 is the King.

I love what the V stands for as GM's last desperate attempt to take on the world's best prior to bankruptcy and somehow pulling it off, and I still get a big grin on my face when I put my foot down in the V. But I can't wait to trade in my V and drive off in my new M5.

Very well said!! I can tell you were honest,
Cars like that cannot be judged just by the numbers they produce, although BMW makes better numbers. As an Overall car BMW is like you said sir a lot better!!!!
BMW has a great reputation as well, GM has a mismanagment reputation, and as any educated person can tell it will affect the final product.
GM built that car while it was Bankrupt, i Don't buy a product from any company that is broke!!!
CTS-V somewhat reminds me of E39 M5, simple, raw, very little in the way of electronics, where ne m5 is a luxury car that can be a race car with a push of the button. Like Jeremy clarkson said " The most boring car in the world, but with the push of the button, the most exciting car in the world."
BMW 4ever
Appreciate 0