View Single Post
      09-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #62
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

When I read the article my initial thoughts concurred with the many detractors in this thread. However, after consideration, I think it might not be such a bad idea.

You can’t please all the people all the time and BMW are no exception to this adage. Were they to have made the car more audible in true M tradition by, presumably, reducing the excellent noise isolating properties for which the current 5 series is renowned, it would lose appeal from those wanting a high performance car with the comfort and quietness of the F10. Conversely, had they done nothing it would not have appealed quite so much to those wanting the full-on M car experience.

What they have done is what BMW always do very well – exploit technology to its fullest advantage. A bit gimmicky in this instance, maybe. However, if the M5 proves to be everything from a snarling, hardcore V8 on the twisty stuff, to a sublimely quiet and comfortable long-distance cruiser, then I say it’s no bad thing.

What concerns me more are the early press reports of turbo lag and lacklustre on-centre steering feel
Appreciate 0