02-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc View Post
I would be open to a hotel in Nice if there is a really nice one equivalent to the Hotel de Paris (for my wife's sake that is...)
The hotel that comes to mind that may equal the Hotel de Paris would be the Hotel Negresco in Nice. I have not had the chance to stay there but friends gave it excellent ratings (if your like antique furnishings). I have stayed at the Hotel de Paris in Monte Carlo twice before. It is a hotel to behold especially Chef Alain Ducasse's restaurant Louis XV. Food there is excellent, commensurate with the prices. The hotel decor just spews of oppulence which kind of reminded me of some of the rooms in the Château de Fontainebleau outside Paris. During my ED in October, we stayed at a more down to earth hotel, the Novotel Nice Arenas, just across the airport as we had an early morning Nice-Paris-New York flight. Rooms are big and the indoor parking space is excellent -- the main reason I chose the hotel as advised by a friend who did ED and stayed at this hotel. Behind the hotel is a gas station with a carwash where you can have your M5 washed before the dropping if off. Two streets (big blocks) behind the hotel is the area of the drop off place which is quite hidden as it is not on the main street but inside an alley. I went into the alley as the GPS gave the indication "you have arrived" but only found a Peugeot dealership/garage. Confident with my French, I talked to the guys there and was lead to the BMW drop off place which is behind an automated gate. There was hardly any indication that it was the BMW drop off place.

BTW, most hotels in Nice and Monaco do not provide for free indoor parking for their guests. Most hotels charge private parking for Euro 8 - 13 per day; expect to pay Euro 35+/day for parking at the luxury hotels.