View Single Post
      06-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #249
kjrulz
Mastermind
Rep
Drives: girls krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
Nothing else to add if you do not understand the relationship of torque and horsepower and which one determines performance than nothing to argue. The e90 m3 does 0-60 in 4.1 seconds. Quarter mile in 12.3. And it has no torque. So how can you say torque is what matters. Even less important around a track. Torque means you can stay in higher gears more often to get good output. Low torque/high hp means you have to actively stay in lower gears/high revs to get the same good output. Both methods are fine but different strategies.

Back to the example of a 535d. 450 lb feet of torque but 272 hp and does not break 6 seconds in sprint to sixty. Now if torque is what mattered how would this be?

You understand you're exactly proving my point? You just listed sprints and 1/4 mile times...exactly where HP matters more than TQ does.

You idiots are full of fail. I completely understand the relationship b/w TQ and HP (I track at Limerock every year and I'm an engineer). So please stop embarrassing yourselves.

I never said HP wasn't important, I said TQ should be relative to the power output. The only reason the e90 m3 held well around the track is it high revving limiter. Meanwhile, when I threw a chip in my 335i I destroyed M3's @ Limerock (with less power but way more torque).

Again, I mentioned the CSL because that's what I think a true M3 should be aka a lightweight monster with ample power and RELATIVE torque. Thus why it devours a higher powered e90 M3 around a ring.

If you're never heard the following, just give up now:

"Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races." Enzo Ferrari
Appreciate 0