03-22-2014, 02:04 AM   #59
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3
Wow... Got some real sarcastic jokers on here... Lol

I take somewhat long road trips for business. There are many times I am in very rural areas and may not be very close to a gas station and need to get to an appointment on time.

I once purchased a vehicle without doing my homework and discovered I would only get about 250 miles out of a tank. This caused enough headaches for me that now I am looking to gather as much data as possible to make my decision. It's important to me.

No need for (what I perceive as) condescending comments. If I am off base, excuse me.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Phil, had my M5 for a couple months now and have 500 miles on the clock. Babying the throttle for the most part, I'm getting exactly 12MPG, worse gas mileage than my former 2011 full-sized Range Rover SC.
I had a great offer on my RR and sold it fully intending to buy a 535d for my next DD.
Long story short, I was disenchanted by the numb steering feel of the 535d, so I proceeded to drive every other BMW model that made sense for a guy with two young children in search of a daily driver. I was set on only buying a BMW.
(BTW, I sold my RR because I was tired of going to the gas station and missed the handling of my last 750i.)
I was dumb enough to test drive an M5 equipped with CP and found the steering and feel of the car to be unmatched. It spoiled me for every other BMW model.

I'm still in love with my M5 after 500 miles but, in retrospect, right now, I feel like a loaded 535d (non X-drive with 4 wheel steering and electronic damping control) would have been the wiser choice for me.

I find the M5 to be a cumbersome daily driver. It feels so low to the ground impairing visibility, and often challenging to maneuver in parking lot type situations with average turning radius and steering that's far too heavy between 1-10 MPH.
I'm also irritated how the car teases me to drive 2x the legal speed limit in order to feel right. This car will get me in trouble and is to be fully enjoyed in parts of the world with higher or no speed limits.
Also, you need to dial in the more aggressive settings for transmission and throttle response or the car feels sluggish and out of sorts at routine RPMs. (I wonder if there's a way to lock in these type of settings?)

With kids and car seats in the back, full leather, black in and out I wish for once in my life I was able to make more practical choices.
Now please keep in mind that I'm not used to this car yet and can't fully enjoy her due to break-in period.
I'm just saying that in your case as a daily driver with concerns about range I would think long and hard about a 535d. I didn't. But hey, I don't really care about range and I 100 percent realized that I was making an emotional buying decision. Good luck!
Appreciate 0