09-20-2014, 02:10 AM   #38
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar
I've been fortunate to have installed multiple BMS and Dinan kits.
There are differences to both setups.
The only thing that BMS has an advantage of is being able to adjust the settings that the user feels will benefit. Increase boost and you go faster, that's simple. But safe for how long ? I don't know why everyone here thinks that if there is a problem all you do is remove the BMS unit and no-one from BMW will find out...that's laughable lol
The D-tronics unit is just as "fast" in performance but the vehicle has a way better performance curve.. The transition is so much smoother and precise.
All around the Dinan is a better setup. The price is what you pay for. We all have our own choice.

Thanks for the write up on differences or pros and cons on BMS vs Dinan!

I agree with your thoughts here. I will add some thoughts/experiences from European tuners that probably correlate quite well with what you wrote.

German magazines, like Sport Auto and Auto Bild Sportscars, often do tests of tuner cars. Either a single test or comparison tests of cars from several tuners.

In Europe, just as in the US, we have tuners that offer a cheaper tune, often claiming/having a higher gain than some more expensive tuners. Their tunes come at a affordable price level, but often without legal approval and allways without warranty. But you get a big bang for your buck (or Euro in this case ).

The high end tuners, usually represented by AC Schnitzer in the BMW tests, often claim less power increase but comes with legal approval and warranty.

When these magazines test tuner cars, and do comparison testing with a number of timed tests (acceleration, in gear acceleration, track time etc) more often than not, they prefer the driveability and power delivery characteristics of the ACS/high end tune over the cheap tune. It's not allways about a max peak hp number... This is also seen in their timed metrics, where the tune with a better overall power curve often is quicker than the tune with "just" a higher peak number! Of course the tests also show that sometimes the cheaper tune is faster since it has a real advantage in power. But that might compromise driveability again.

There is a huge difference between the amount of development time that goes into a high end tune and one that just use their std piggyback and make new connectors for every new model they sell it for. The simplest piggybacks that just alters boost signals aren't really advanced and can be sold/used on allmost any turbo car with just minor software mods. A piggyback like Dinan's or AC Schnitzer do more than alter boost and have more control over parametres such as AFR etc. They also require more development work for each new model. The JB4 is much more advanced than the JB3 that the M5 use (it's actually the 550i piggyback that also is used on the M5).

But the JB3 definitely works! It increases power and puts a smile on the driver. No arguing that.

The point is that you usually get what you pay for. And the high end tunes usually have better driveability and/or power delivery. As well as warranty and being legal...

It's also different to going for a service and the dealership not saying anything about a tune, to having a engine failure and getting that covered by BMW under warranty! In the latter situation they will do due dilligence and make sure that the owner hasn't violated the terms of the warranty. Which I personally think is just the way it needs to be done. I'm not interested in paying a higher price for my new BMW just because BMW have had to up the margin due to a lot of warranty claims based on tuned cars breaking down...

And, yes they can tell that there has been a piggyback even if you remove it. The dealer can't AFAIK, but when the factory is hooked up to your car when it's sitting at the dealer, they can read a lot of stuff that is telltale signs of a previous tune...
Appreciate 0